Dr. S. Aikins
Main page content
Lecturer Click to View Full Profile
Optometrist and experienced researcher as well as educator with strong academic background in Aquatic Ecology. Specialized in Community Ecology in relation to ecosystem management and restoration.
BIOL 458 Fish and Fisheries
ENVS 254 Ecology of Inland Waters
Aquatic Ecology and Optometry
Research Programme Summary
1. Refractive Error study of School children in Ashanti Region 2008 to 2011
2. Primary and Secondary productivity of Lake Bosumtwe, 2006 to 2010
3. Effect of car washing facilities on surface water quality 2006 to 2008
4, Wastewater recycling for aquaculture, 2011 to 2014
5. Seaweed Biorefinery in Ghana – SeaBioGha, 2015 to 2019
- F. E. Awotwi, E. Frempong, S. Aikins, R. E. Hecky And M. Puchniak, (2015). The Relationship between Mixing and Stratification Regime on the Phytoplankton of Lake Bosumtwe (Ghana) West Africa. West African Journal of Applied Ecology, vol 23(2), pp 43- 75.
- Aikins, S. and E. Kikuchi. Studies on habitat selection by amphipods using artificial substrates within an estuarine environment. Hydrobiologia 457:77-86, 2001.
- Aikins, S. and E. Kikuchi. Water current velocity as one of the environmental factors regulating the distribution of amphipod species in Gamo Lagoon, Japan. Limnology 2:185-191, 2001.
- Aikins, S. and E. Kikuchi. Grazing pressure effects on microalgae by amphipods in Gamo Lagoon. MEPS 245: 171-179, 2002.
- E. Awortwi, E. Frempong, S. Aikins, R. Hecky, R. Hall (In press) Cyanobacteria cell densities as index of water quality: the case of Lake Bosomtwe, Ghana. Journal of Ghana Science Association
- P. Sanful, E. Frempong, S. Aikins, R. Hall, R. Hecky (2012) Secondary production of Chaoborus ceratogones (Diptera: Chaoboridae) in Lake Bosomtwi, Ghana. Aquatic Insects 30 No. 2, 115-134
- P. Sanful, E. Frempong, S. Aikins, R. Hall, R. Hecky (2012) Secondary production of crustacean zooplankton and biomass of major rotifer species in Lake Bosumtwi/Bosomtwe, Ghana, West Africa, Afr. J. Ecol., 51, 456–465
- T. A, Amantoge and S. Aikins (2013) Drinking Water Suitability from the Karaga Dam in the Northern Region, Ghana ARPN Journal of Science and Technology VOL. 3, NO. 12, 1242-1246
- D. Kumah, A. Ebri, M. Abdul -Kabir, A. Abdul-Sadik, N. Koomson, S. Aikins, A. Aikins, A. Amedo, S.Y. Lartey, and K. Naidoo (2013) Refractive Error and Visual Impairment in Private School Children in Ghana. Optometry & Visual Science (OVS);90(12):1456-61.
- D. B. Kumah, S. Aikins, A. O. Ansah, K. O. Akuffo, and E. A. Osae (2014). Eye Diseases among Women Engaged in Local Extraction of Palm Kernel Oil in the Kumasi Metropolis. Epidemiology Research International Vol 2014, pp1- 5
- I. Tindjina, S. Aikins, K.M.L. Tengan (2014). Effect of tillage practices on soil fertility. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Sciences (JBES) Vol. 5, No. 2, p. 181-191
- S. Aikins and D. O. Boakye (2015). Carwash Wastewater Characterization and Effect on Surface Water Quality: A Case Study of Washing Bays Sited on Oda and Daban Streams in Kumasi, Ghana. ARPN Journal of Science and TechnologyVOL. 5, NO. 4, 190-197
- S. Aikins, F. N.Gyawu-Asante and R. B. Voegborlo, (2015) Physico-chemical quality of water sources in the Gold mining areas of Bibiani, Ghana. International Journal of Innovative Science, Engineering & Technology, Vol. 2 Issue 9, 229 – 238
- S. Aikins and D. O. Boakye (2015). The Potential effects of Car Washing Facilities on Surface Water Bodies in Kumasi Metropolis, Ghana. ARPN Journal of Science and Technology VOL. 5, NO. 10, 484-490
- Yeboah-Agyepong M., Amoah P., Agbo W. N., Ashley M. and S. Aikins (In Press) Pathogen and heavy metal concentrations in African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) cultured in waste stabilization pond system in Kumasi, Ghana Journal of Water and Health
- PO Sanful, S Aikins, E Frempong, RE Hecky and RI Hall (In Press) Species composition and temporal variability of the zooplankton community of Lake Bosumtwi (Ghana, West Africa): physical dynamics and bottom-up influences African Journal of Aquatic Science