Dr. A. K. Anning
Main page content
Senior Lecturer Click to View Full Profile
BIOL 153 Introductory Genetics
BIOL 258/353 Principles of Ecology
BIOL 452 Biodiversity Conservation and Utilization
BIOL 501 Ecosystems Conservation and Vegetation Analysis
Tropical rainforest dynamics and disturbance ecology, invasion ecology, resource conservation and management, phytoremediation, dendroecology and global change.
Research Programme Summary
My research focuses on plants with a goal of understanding ecological patterns and processes in tropical ecosystems. Both the comparative approach and experimental manipulations are often used to understand the influence of key ecological drivers such as fire, exotic plant invasions, mining, logging, indigenous farming practices and other anthropogenic disturbances on the structure, composition, functions and dynamics of the tropical rainforest ecosystem of Ghana. Research is also conducted to evaluate forest restoration/reclamation efforts following surface or small-scale mining activities. Other areas of interest include plant systematics as well as natural resource conservation/management in relation to human activities and climate change.
- Anning AK, Dyer JM, McCarthy BC, 2014. Tree growth response to fuel reduction treatments along a topographic moisture gradient in mixed-oak forests, Ohio, USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. DOI: 10.1139/cjfr-2013-0302.
- Silver EJ, Speer JH, Kaye M, Reo NJ, Howard LF, Anning AK, Wood SW, Wilbur HM, 2013. Fire history and age structure of an oakpine forest on Price Mountain, Virginia, USA. Natural Areas Journal 33 (4): 440-446.
- Anning AK, McCarthy BC, 2013. Long-term effects of prescribed fire and thinning on residual tree growth in mixed-oak forests of southern Ohio. Ecosystems 16(8): 1473-1486. DOI: 10.1007/s10021-013-9696-6.
- Anning AK, McCarthy, BC, 2013. Competition, size and age affect tree growth response to fuel reduction treatments in mixed-oak forests of Ohio. Forest Ecology and Management 307: 74-83.
- Anning AK, Rubino DL, Sutherland EK, McCarthy BC, 2013. Dendrochronological analysis of white oak growth patterns across a topographic moisture gradient in southern Ohio. Dendrochronologia 31 (2): 120-128.
- Anning AK, Korsah PE, Addo-Fordjour P, 2013. Phytoremediation of wastewater with Limnocharis flava, Thalia geniculata and Typha latifolia in constructed wetlands. International Journal of Phytoremediation 15 (5): 452-464.
- Addo-Fordjour P, Anning AK, Larbi JA, Akyeampong S, 2009. Liana species richness, abundance and relationship with trees in the Bobiri forest reserve, Ghana: impact of management systems. Forest Ecology and Management 157 (8): 1822-1828.
- Addo-Fordjour P, Anning AK, Addo MG, Osei MF, 2009. Composition and distribution of vascular epiphytes in a tropical semi-deciduous forest, Ghana. African Journal of Ecology 47 (4): 767-773.
- Anning AK, Akyeampong S, Addo-Fordjour P, Anti KK, Kwarteng A, Tettey YF, 2008. Floristic composition and vegetation structure of the KNUST Botanic Garden, Kumasi, Ghana. Journal of Science and Technology 28 (3): 103-116.
- Anning AK, Grant NT, 2008. An evaluation of local community participation in forest resources conservation in some selected districts of Ghana. The African Journal of Plant Science and Biotechnology 2 (2): 39- 45.
- Anning AK, Yeboah-Gyan K, 2007. Diversity and distribution of invasive weeds in Ashanti Region, Ghana. African Journal of Ecology 45: 355-360.
Anning’s lab webpage (under construction)