Prof. K. Obiri-Danso
Main page content
Professor Click to View Full Profile
Vice Chancellor, KNUST
Professor Kwasi Obiri-Danso is the Vice Chancellor of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi. He is a leading academic with considerable experience in general education, international relations and outreach services delivery, and vast institutional management experience, research management experience and boardroom skills, university teaching, collaborative research, and headship/membership of high profile Boards, Committees and Teams, including the following: Member, Academic Board of KNUST; Member, Executive Committee of KNUST; Member, KNUST Colleges of Science and Health Sciences Appointments and Promotions Committees; Member, KNUST Undergraduate Admissions Committee; Member, KNUST Central Disciplinary Committee; Chairman, Committee of Hall Administrators; Hall Master, Independence Hall.
BIOL 251 Basic Microbiology
BIOL 502 Occupational Health and Hazards
Environmental Microbiology, Environmental Health
Research Programme Summary
- Campylobacter, Salmonella, E. coli0157, faecal coliforms and enterococci behaviour in the environment to maximise their chances of infecting new host.
- Using a combination of ecological and molecular microbiology techniques, sources of infection routes of pathogens in humans, farms and aquatic environments.
- In collaboration with four German Universities (Kassel, Bochum, Freiburg, Gottingen) exploring ways to strengthen food security and improve the safety of urban grown vegetables production and to economically improve the financial base of urban farmers in many west African countries.
- Antibiotic Drug Use, Monitoring and Evaluation of Resistance build up in humans, food animals and the general environment is being investigated through Antibiotic potency monitoring, diarrheal causing microorganisms susceptibility or otherwise to commonly used antibiotics in collaboration with STATENS SERUM INSTITUT, Denmark.
- Prevalence of Lassa virus and other human pathogens in Ghanaian Multimammate rodents. A joint collaboration with the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical research and US Naval Medical Research Unit.
- Exploring options in improving general peri-urban and rural environmental sanitation in west African countries through a Network for the development of sustainable approaches for large scale implementation of sanitation in Africa (NETSSAF) in collaboration with 19 international partners.
- Ecology of Mycobacterium ulceransalong a single water system (Densu River) in Ga East. A collaboration with the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research.
- Impacts of land use change on some water quality parameters in the Barekese Reservoir catchment. A collaboration with AWARD (African Women in Agricultural Research and Development)
- Mitochondrial respiratory chain diseases of nuclear origin. In collaboration with University of Paris Sud II, France.
- General water quality research and heavy metals presence in the environment vis a vis health of the population.
- Distribution, characterization, and management of parasitic diseases (Malaria, Bilharzia and intestinal worms)
- Karl C Kronmann, Shirley Nimo Paintsil, Fady Guirguis, Lisha C Kronmann, Kofi Bonney, Kwasi Obiri-Danso, William Ampofo, Elizabeth Fichet-Calvet (2013). Two Novel Arenaviruses Detected in Pygmy Mice, Ghana. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 19(11): 1832-1835.
- R. Nartey, E. Owusu-Dabo, T. Kruppa, S. Baffour-Awuah, S. Oppong, N. Becker, K. Obiri-Danso (2013). Use of Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis as a viable option in an Integrated Vector Management Programme in the Kumasi Metropolis, Ghana. Parasites and Vectors, 6: 116-120.
- Adubofour, K., Obiri-Danso, K. and Quansah, C. (2012). Sanitation survey of two urban slum muslim communities in the Kumasi metropolis, Ghana. Environment and Urbanization. 25(1): 1-19.
- Tiimub, B.M., Kuffour, R.A., Adu, B.K., Obiri-Danso, K. (2012). Traced Metals and Nutrients in Mosquito Breeding Sites at the Obuasi Municipality of Ashanti Region in Ghana. Journal of Environment and Earth Science. 2(10): 130- 140
- Tiimub, B.M., Adu, B.K., Obiri-Danso, K. (2012). Physico-chemical assessment of mosquito breeding sites from selected mining communities at the Obuasi municipality in Ghana. Journal of Environment and Earth Science. 2(10): 123-30
- B.M. Tiimub, S. Frimpong, R.A. Kuffour, A.B. Dwumfour, I. Monney, K. K. Obiri-Danso, (2012). Groundwater quality at Achiase and Wabiri in the Ejisu Juaben Municipality of the Ashanti region in Ghana. International Journal of Development and Sustainability Online. 1(3): 1-18.
- Franklin, K., Opoku-Okrah, C., Obiri-Danso, K., Owiredu, W.B.K.A. and Debra, A. (2011). The effect of alpha (+) -thalassaemia on P. falciparum malaria parasitaemia in children attending Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital. International Journal of Biomedical Laboratory Science 1: 7-14.
- Kumasi, T.C., Obiri-Danso, K. and Ephraim, J.H. (2011). Microbial quality of water in Barekese reservoir and feeder streams Ghana. Journal of Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management. 16: 49-60.
- Obiri-Danso, K., Adonadaga, M.G. and Hogarh, J.N. (2011). Effect of agrochemical use on the drinking water quality of Agogo, a tomato growing community in Ashanti Akim, Ghana. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology86(1): 71-77.
- Baidoo, S.E., Tay, S.C.K., Obiri-Danso, K. and Abruquah, H.H. (2010). Intestinal helminth infection and anaemia during pregnancy: A community based study in Ghana. Journal of Bacteriological Research 2(2): 9-13.
- Amponsah-Doku, F., Obiri-Danso, K., Abaidoo, R.C., Andoh, L.A., Drechsel, P. and Kondrasen, F. (2010). Bacterial contamination of lettuce and associated risk factors at production sites, markets, and street food restaurants in urban and peri-urban Kumasi. Scientific Research and Essays 5(2): 217-223.
- Kumasi, T.C., Obiri-Danso, K. and Ephraim, J.H. (2010). Community engagement in the sustainable management of rivers: Barekese catchment, Kumasi, Ghana. Journal of Environment, Development and Sustainability 12(6):927-943.
- Addo, M.G., Cossard, R., Pichard, D., Obiri-Danso, K., Rotig, A. and Delahodde, A. (2010). Caenorhabditis elegans, a pluricellular model organism to screen new genes involved in mitochondrial genome maintenance. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1802(9): 765-773.
- Afriyie-Debrah, C., Obiri-Danso, K. and Ephraim, J.H. (2010). Acid mine drainage – Effect on creeks and streams in a mining community in Ghana and treatment options. International Journal of Environmental Science and Development1(5): 399-403.
- Andoh, L.A., Abaidoo, R.C., Obiri-Danso, K., Drechsel, P., Kondrasen, F. and Klank, L.T. (2009). Helminth contamination of lettuce and associated risk factors at production sites, markets, and street food vendor points in urban and peri-urban Kumasi, Ghana. Research Journal of Microbiology 4(1): 13-22.
- Obiri-Danso, K., Adjei, B, Stanley, K.N. and Jones, K. (2009). Microbiological quality and metal levels in wells and boreholes water in some peri-urban communities in Kumasi, Ghana. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 3(1): 59-66.
- Obiri-Danso, K., Acheampong, L.O. and Edoh, D.A. (2009). Cure rate of tuberculosis patients using DOTS programme in Kumasi, Ghana. The Internet Journal of Pulmonary Medicine 11(1): 1-13.
- 12. Tiimub, B. M., Forson, M. A., Obiri-Danso, K., Rahaman, I. A. (2009). Pointed gaps in the provision, quality, patronage and management of toilet facilities in Bawku East District. Water, sanitation and hygiene: sustainable development and multisectoral approaches. Proceedings of the 34th WEDC International Conference, United Nations Conference Centre, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 18-22 May 2009 2009 pp. 715-720. (REVIEWED PAPER)
- K. Obiri-Danso, J.N. Hogarh and P. Antwi-Agyei (2008). Assessment of contamination of singed hides from cattle and goats by heavy metals in Ghana. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology. 2(8): 217-221.
- M.G. Addo, W.G. Akanwariwiak, P. Addo-Fordjour and K. Obiri-Danso (2008) Microbiological and sensory analysis of imported fruit juices in Kumasi, Ghan. Research Journal of Microbiology 3(8): 552-558.
- Timub, B.M., Forson, A.M. and Obiri-Danso, K. (2008). Groundwater quality, sanitation and vulnerable groups: case study of Bawku East District. Proceedings of the 33rd WEDC International Conference on Access to sanitation and safe water; global partnerships and local actions, Accra, Ghana. (REVIEWED PAPER)
- Obiri-Danso, K.., Addai-Amponsah, K. and Hogarh, J. (2007). Turning frequency regimes and inactivation of pathogenic microorganisms in organic solid waste compost. Journal of Applied and Environmental Sciences 3(2): 108-115.
- Kumasi, T.C., Obiri-Danso, K. and Ephraim, J.H. (2007). Impacts of land-use change on the water quality of the main source of pipe borne water for Kumasi, Ghana (A case study of the Barekese reservoir catchment area). In: Water Management Challenges in Global Change (eds. B. Ulanicki, K. Vairavamoorthy, D. Butler, P.L.M. Bounds and F.A. Memon), Taylor & Francis Group, London. pp 243-248. Book Chapter
- Aklaku, E.D.,Jones, K. and Obiri-Danso, K. (2006). Integrated biological treatment and biogas production in a small-scale slaughterhouse in rural Ghana. Water Environment Research 78(12): 2335-2339.
- J.O. Kofi, R.C. Abaidoo, K. Obiri-Danso, and K.O. Nyako (2005). Laboratory breeding and embryology of Biomphalaria pfeiferi. Journal of the Ghana Science Association 7(2): 11-22.
- Obiri-DansoK, Weobong. C. A. A. and Jones, K. (2005). Aspects of health-related microbiology of the Subin, an urban river in Kumasi, Ghana. Journal of Water and Health (WHO) 3(1): 69-76.
- Bio, F.Y. and K. Obiri-Danso (2004). Low back pain among underground miners and healthcare workers in Ghana: a comparative study. Journal of the Ghana Science Association 6(2): 54-58.
- Obiri-Danso, K., Amevor, E., Andoh, L.A. and Jones, K. (2004). Effect of sunlight, transport and storage vessels on drinking water quality in rural Ghana. Journal of Science and Technology 24: 32-44.
- Bio, F.Y. and K. Obiri-Danso (2003). Prevalence of low back pain among healthcare workers of the University Hospital in Kumasi. Journal of the Ghana Science Association 5(2): 1-7.
- Obiri-Danso, K., A. Okore-Hanson and K. Jones (2003). The microbiological quality of drinking water sold on the streets in Kumasi, Ghana. Letters of Applied Microbiology 37: 334-339.
- Obiri-Danso, K., Paul, N. and Jones, K. (2001). The Effects of UVB and temperature on the survival of natural populations and pure cultures of Campylobacter jejuni, Camp. coli, Camp. lari and urease-positive thermophilic campylobacters (UPTC) in surface waters. Journal of Applied Microbiology 90: 256-267.
- Obiri-Danso, K. and Jones, K. (2000). Intertidal sediments as reservoirs for hippurate negative campylobacters salmonellae and faecal indicators in three EU recognised bathing waters in North West England. Water Research 34 (2): 519-527.
- Obiri-Danso, K. and Jones, K. (1999). Distribution and seasonality of microbial indicators and thermophilic campylobacters in two freshwater bathing sites on the River Lune in northwest England. Journal of Applied Microbiology87: 822-832.
- Obiri-Danso K. and Jones, K. (1999). The effect of a new sewage treatment plant on faecal indicator numbers, campylobacters and bathing water compliance in Morecambe Bay. Journal of Applied Microbiology 86s: 603-614.
- Jones, K. and Obiri-Danso, K. (1999). Non-compliance of beaches with the EU directives on bathing water quality: evidence of non-point sources of pollution in Morecambe Bay. Journal of Applied Microbiology Symposium Supplement 86s: 101S-107S.
- Obiri-Danso, K., Jones, K. and Paul, N. (1999). The effect of the time of sampling on the compliance of bathing water in NW England with the EU Directive on bathing water quality. Journal of Coastal Conservation 5: 51-58.
- Obiri-Danso, K., Ellis, W.O., Simpson, B.K. and Smith, J.P. (1997). Suitability of high lysine maize, Obatanpa for ‘kenkey’ production. Journal of Food Control, 8(3): 125-129.
- Obiri-Danso, K. (1994). Microbiological studies on corn dough fermentation. Journal of Cereal Chemistry, 71(2): 186-188.
- Nyako, K.O. and Obiri-Danso, K. (1992). Role of added yeast in the acceptability of naturally fermented corn dough. In: Traditional African Foods Quality and Nutrition. Eds. A. Westby and P.J.A. Reilly. pp. 19-21. International Foundation for Science, Echanis Press, Manila, Philippines.
2002 – Present Associate Editor, Journal of the Ghana Science Association
2012 – Present Editor, African Journal of Disability
2006 – 2008 Editor In Chief, Journal of Science & Technology, (JUST)
2003 – 2006/2010 Editor, Journal of Science & Technology (JUST)
2011- Present Chair, Environment and Climate, Building Stronger Universities, DANIDA